Thursday, January 14, 2016

Once more into the breach

New year - new resolve. I am trying again to chronicle the direction my life has taken since COPD has tried to become my defining characteristic.

I was a newspaper staff writer during my working life and also wrote grant applications and designed business publications and advertising copy. Along the way I have consistantly littered my floor with the detritus of what I considered self-indulgent efforts at poetry, opinions and other scribbling. Every single time, as I began to write, I became acutely aware of my failings and my presumption in writing down my ideas. Most recently my crippling criticism has been an insistent whispering that I am too old and not sophisticated or interesting enough.  I have been just too insecure to expect other people to pay attention to anything I have to say. I originally wrote  a few pieces about developing COPD after smoking for over 30 years, in this blogging effort I call "Breathe Easy." That ground to a halt - in part a result of a short-lived and ultimately brutally humiliating experience as a telephone "information line associate" at the COPD Foundation. I had posted some of those blog pieces on Facebook to underwhelming response while still with the COPDF. Once again, I wondered who would want to read about my experiences and/or insights. I thought, "Probably no one." and gave it up.

Heather King, a blogger whose essays and memoirs have very often spoken to me with uncanny timing when I needed them, one day said  that she began a discipline of writing four hours each day when she finally committed to becoming a "writer" and to submitting her work to others.  I am encouraged to make a similar promise to myself. I am also a writer, and writers write. Where it will lead, only God knows, but I feel like I am fulfilling a need I have been trying to deny for many years even as COPD does away with  many other interests and activities that used to define me.

In a quick update of the COPD that tries to manage my life for me...

The progression of my condition is for the most part manageable. I very recently began a medication new to me, Daliresp. It has been on the market for about a year. The list of side effects is formidable, but fortunately I don't seem to have any of them, so I have hopes that this medication will actually decrease the shortness of breath that accompanies any exertion on my part, leading to more activity. We shall see what we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment